Thursday, May 7, 2009

Third Time is the Charm

I keep thinking about Mother's Day. Mostly because people keep reminding me that this is going to be my first Mother's Day. "Oh, your first Mother's Day...how special". My mouth says "Yes, very exciting" while my heart feels cheated and I physically have to contain myself from screaming.

I was pregnant with Angela on Mother's Day 2007. I recieved some special cards, and even a gift. I was pregnant with Danny on Mother's Day 2008. And I remember people telling me sweet things about pregnancy and Motherhood and that for Mother's Day 2009, I would be celebrating with the real deal.

Well, the big day is almost upon us. And I will enjoy a brunch with my family, but more importantly, I will be embracing my son and thinking about Angela. She may not be with me today, but David and I are her parents, and last year, Mother's Day and Father's Day was hard for us, even though we were expecting Danny.

I would like to note though, that a very dear friend of mine sent me a beautiful card last year, telling me what a wonderful mother I was to Angela, and many more thoughtful words. And that recognition felt so rewarding. She is an amazing friend and an even better Mother.

Back to my point...You shouldn't have to be a "Mom" to celebrate Mother's Day. I have so many friends that may not have children of their own or here with us, but they have experienced pregnancy, they are the Aunt any child would dream of, the stepmom to a spouses child, the girlfriend of a boyfriend with children. A role model. Someone who loves others children unconditionally as if they were there own.

I am counting all of my blessings this Mother's Day. This is the best job, and I couldn't be more appreciative to enjoy all of the ups and the downs that this road I have traveled has brought me so far.

This year, celebrate all the women in your life and the contribution they make to loving and parenting children.

No comments: