Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bili-Blues.

Last night, monkey chose to stay up most of the evening. Not super fussy, just when I would put him down for bed. Thank God the glider is so comfortable. He is doing great with the feeding, and sometimes a bit relentless. The "girls" are still getting broken in, so this is a little bittersweet.

Today was his first pediatrician appointment. When we left UH on Monday, his bilirubin (jaundice) levels were middle of the road. This was something that the UH pediatrician wanted to have looked at by our new pediatrician at the first appointment. So, we talked about it with our doctor today. He agreed that monkey looked a little yellow, and wanted to have a blood test. So monkey got the blood test.

Poor Dave. I was at the desk registering him as a new Cleveland Clinic patient, and all I could hear was our baby SCREAMING. The girl checking me in, Stephanie, could not have been any SLOWER. She was making small talk and commenting on how nice it is that Dave and I work for the same company, and blah blah blah. Oh, and that there was another baby boy that was born on 9/27/2008 and maybe he and Danny could be friends. I was like "seriously?!". What seemed like an hour later, I found Dave and Danny in the laboratory, and Dave had calmed him down a bit. Poor little guy. They prick the heel of his foot!

The doctor called with the results, and the levels were high. Just short of having him admitted to Hillcrest to be put under the lights. So, the doctor had a company bring over a bili-blanket. It has a glowing pad that monkey lays on. You kind of stuff it up his onsie. He looks like a glow worm. We had to bring him back in this afternoon for another blood test. This one wasn't quite as bad, but he did demonstrate his large lung capacity. Those results came back better. The level was dropping.

We take him back in Thursday morning, and he'll be tested again. In the meantime, he's on the bili-blanket, and seems to like the "white noise" that it makes. I'm just glad we didn't have to spend the night in the hospital again. Being home is so nice!

Good night!

No comments: