He weighed in at 12lbs 14oz. He's in the 85th percentile for weight. What a fatty. We learned that he is now at an age where he should be able to self-soothe himself more. This is good to know. We certainly don't want to develop bad habits, and I know I've been guilty of picking him up all too quickly after he starts crying. The fact that he's been fed, feels good and has a dry diaper is all we need to know to let him cry it out. Lately, he has all of the above, and as soon as I put him down, he'll cry. Depending on my mood and time of day, I'll put up with this to some degree. However I was proud of myself on Wednesday for letting him go a full 20-minutes. Because he's a hefty guy, the doc also encouraged us not to feed him and then put him right down to sleep, but to make sure he's up for a bit (with the exception of the middle of the night) so that he doesn't always need food for comfort. Whether that means he's awake in his crib or awake in other ways.
The doctor said the crying it out might take a few nights, but it's worth the pain for both of us. It really does break my heart to hear him scream fully knowing that if I pick him up he'll be fine. However, the fact that I'll be going back to work at the end of December definitely plays a key role in agreeing to the cry it out theory. Not only for myself at night, but the fact that he'll be in Day Care and will need to be put down for naps, etc.
Of course, this will all begin in a day or two, as with his shots, the doctor advised that it's OK to hold him and cuddle him a lot since he actually won't be feeling good.

No comments:
Post a Comment